On this page, you will find an overview of the presentations I gave to academic and non-academic audiences, colleagues and students. These presentations include a range of different talks at conferences, seminars and workshops. The presentations could be delivered as keynote speaker or intended to be published. Some presentations were based on papers and intended to be published, others were not. The overview is far from complete, but it present a fair insight into the range of my interest and engagement.
- Teaching on firearms and terrorism issues in higher education, panel presentation,
- UNODC – CCPCT side event, Vienna, Austria, May 22, 2019.
- Science-policy interfaces at the global level, workshop European Association of Development Institutes Director’s Meeting, Granada, Spain October 17, 2019
- International Organization Law Roundtable: Perspectives on UN Partnerships, speaker, American Society of International Law, New York, USA, November 7, 2019
- International Studies in the 21st Century, Presentation at the 2018 Annual Conference of the Mexican International Studies Association, Guadalajara, Mexico 19 October 2018.
- Organising for Security’ through Collage-Making: Artistic Articulations and Academic Analysis, Paper Presentation at the Qualitative Research in Organizational and Management Conference, Albuquerque, USA, 27 March 2018.
- The African Union, Between Practice and Principle, panel presentation at the Fifth International Conference on Strategic Theory:Africa’s security Triad: From Leadership to Landward and Maritime Governance, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 26 September 2017.
- The role and position of private Military and Security Companies in transnational security governance, seminar presentation at the Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Singapore, 30 August.
- The privatisation of maritime security, paper presentation at the Maritime Security Workshop, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch South-Africa, 5-6 May.
- Non-State Actors in International Law: Sense and Non-Sense, presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Australian Branch of the International Law Association, Sydney, Australia, 8 December.
- Human dignity for migrants; traveling beyond fear and want; panel presentation 7th Graz Workshop on the Future of Security; Blurring Boundaries: Human Security and Migration, Graz, Austria, 26-27 November.
- Non-State Actors, Transnationalism, and Theory, Munich Advanced Course in International Law Summer School, Munich, Germany, 7 August.
- Private Military and Security Companies: A transnational legal approach, Key note, Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany, 3 March.
- Human security, distributive justice and the law, Panel presentation, Academic Council on the United Nations System Annual Meeting, The Hague, The Netherlands, June.
- 20 years of human security discourse; 20 years of change? Keynote, 20 Years On: Human Security at Crossroads, The 4th Istanbul Human Security Conference, 23 October.
- Non-State Actors and International Relations Theory Open Access Teaching Materials for International Law, Presentation at the 76th International Law Association Conference, Washington DC, 7 – 11 April.
- Non-State Actors in International Law, Presentation at the 76th International Law Association Conference, Washington DC, 7 – 11 April.
- Non-State Actors and International law: Roles, Rules and Responsibilities, paper presented at the Joint NOHA/IFHV International Conference: From Cold war to Drone War, Bochum, 14-15 November.
- Critical Realism and the Social Sciences, Symposium, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, September 19.
- Non-State Actors and Educational Responsibilities, Presentation on non-state actors and education, British Institute of International and Comparative Law, London, 22 May.
- Humanitarianism, Human Rights and Climate Change: a Critical Realist Perspective, paper presented at the Conference on Human Rights and Climate Change, Utrecht, 10 October.
- Non-Governmental Organizations: Responsibility and Accountability, paper presented at the International Conference on Non-State Actor Responsibilities: Empirical Findings and Theoretical Considerations, Vancouver, 27 June.
- ASEAN’s Counter-terrorism after Bali: a critical realist approach to security community theory, paper presented at the 2nd Annual Southeast Asian Studies Symposium, Oxford, 9 March.
- Teaching International Law in the 21st Century; From the Gutenberg Press to the Gutenberg Project, Presentation at the 75th International Law Association Conference Sofia, August 27-30.
- Human Nature and Reconciliation: the universal in conflict resolution, Keynote Speech, Institute of Foreign Policy Studies, University of Calcutta (United Nations Academic Impact Initiative), Calcutta, India, 30 January.
- ASEAN’s counter-terrorism practices 10 years after Bali, Guest-lecture at the NUS School of Law, University of Singapore, 15 September.
- Terrorism in South-East Asia, Conference on Global Insecurities, Insurgency, Development, and World Order 10 Years On, School of Politics and International Studies, University of Leeds, September 10-11.
- India and the Security Council, Guest-lecture at Nanyang Technical University, Singapore, 17 September.
- Non State Actors and Human Security: revolt, relief and reconstruction, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, September 1-2.
- Judicial Activism and Human Rights, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, 24 November.
- From International to Transnational Law? Keynote Speech, Belgian International Law Association Branch, Brussels, Belgium, 25 March
- Transnational Institutional Framework for Guidance and Coordination in Emergencies, Guest-lecture University of Heidelberg, Germany, 7 September
- Transnationalism and Non-State Actors in International Law, American Branch of the International Law Association, Conference on Challenges to Transnational Governance, New York, 22-25 October.
- ASEAN and its People; regional internationalism and the politics of exclusion, paper presented at the 6th International Convention of Asian Scholars, Deajaon, Korea, 6 – 8 August.
- INGOs and IGOs: when do liaisons get dangerous? Paper presented at the Politicologen Etmaal, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 28-29 May
- Non-state Entities in International Law: Trans-nationalizing International Law, Mainstreaming Transnational Law or Bringing the Participants Back in? Paper presented at the Centre for Global Governance Studies, University of Leuven, Leuven, 26-28 March
- Bali + 6: is there an ‘ASEAN Way’ of Counter-terrorism? Paper presented at the 73rd Conference of the International law Association, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 18 August.
- The Role of Non-State Actors in the (re)Construction of the Normative Framework of Self Determination, paper presented at the self-determination seminar, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- What are the (Im)possibilities in European and International Law on Agreements in Relation to Public Security. Keynote Speech at the Seminar on Success for Security, Rotterdam Harbor Authority, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 6 September.
- Teaching Public International Law in the Netherlands, Keynote Speech at the 50th Anniversary of the China University of Politics and Law, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China, May.
- The Human Rights/Multinationals Discourse; An Example of Modern Myth-Building. (Het mensenrechten/multinationals discours; een voorbeeld van modern mythe vorming), paper presented at the Human Rights Seminar, Tilburg, The Netherlands, October.